Saturday, September 15, 2012

Bal-Aska 2012

So things are getting all jumbled and out of order because my blogging isn't keeping up with events, but that's a good problem to have - and we just keep pushing on! :) Last weekend Chris and I went up to Anchorage, Alaska to teach at their first ever Balboa event, Bal-aska - and we had a ball! It was a whirlwind trip of only 3 days plus travel time, but we managed to sneak in a little sight-seeing between classes.

No fancy-pant camera on this trip, this time my phone was in charge of recording memories. And DJing for classes, and mapping out the wild streets of Anchorage. Smart phones and jet planes are 2 reasons I'm glad I didn't actually live in 1938. Anyway...

Our trusty rental in The Last Frontier

With the promoters and staff of Bal-aska - Patrick, Roxanne & Binky


Chris got in the spirit of Autumn up there -
 it's painful coming home to 100 degree weather!


Friday night's band - featuring the youngest member of the clarinet section!


Outside of the Saturday venue


This incredible book was one of the weekend's prizes, 
and there was a shriek from every girl in the room when it was announced. :) 
I snapped a photo as a note to buy it, and my own copy is racing to me right now!


Friday afternoon we stopped by the zoo - who let this animal out of the cage?!


Playful Otter


Polar Paws


Chipmunk in the tree was squeeking and teasing the foxes behind the fence.


Black Bear, Black Bear


Overlooking the bears


Little Campbell Lake


Don't fall in!


Hiking on one of the Kincaid cross-country ski trails


And Sunday morning we took a scenic drive along the south coast. Beautiful!!

8 comments:

  1. How beautiful! So exciting that you got to teach in and experience Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a treat! It felt so "exotic" even though it wasn't a tropical island.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a great time! I love your jacket. I'm looking for similar for life in the wilds of Canada. Anyway, neat excursion! You and Chris look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually found that coat at a skateboard shop a few years ago, Chris went in to look at sunglasses or shoes, but I came out with the fun item. :) If I see something similar I'll let you know.

      Delete
  3. Wow, balboa in Alaska, something I wouldn't have thought of. That is a darn cute jacket indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a lovely, if short trip.

    I am a Balboa dancer from Canberra, Australia and I stumbled on the post where you dye your cream Aries Allens brown, while I was doing shoe research.

    I love your blog, and I just wanted to let you know I am reading and enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love your red plaid jacket. It's awesome. I'm a new swing dancer who hasn't "gotten to" Balboa yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like such a wonderful event! I've always dreamed of seeing the north (I have family ties to Dawson City, Yukon, so the north is really near and dear to my heart) and hope that one day when I do, I'll have as cute a coat as yours to sport.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...